Weekly Update Oct 12 – 18

This is going to be a short update, spent last week watch a lot of TI10. Drafting my Statement of Purpose has been eating up a lot of my time, and I’m nowhere near close to done. Hopefully I’ll get it done by the end of this week.

Computer Graphics:

Rendering Triangles from obj files in my shader! This lets me load stuff from blender in my path tracer. Here are some renders of a human face and the blender monkey

Fixed an embarrassing bug related to Bounding Box Volume Hierarchy Trees. I wasn’t actually sorting the objects by the axis, so obviously my implementation was going to be much slower than without BVH Trees. I figured this when I wanted to actually see how my BVH was being divided, so I assigned a random color to entire sections of a BVH node. This is what I got:

The colors are all random! That’s not supposed to happen. Digging into the code, I realized that I was sorting the objects by an axis, but not really passing on the sorted objects to the children nodes. Fixing that resulted in this:

The renderer does feel faster now, but again I need to deep dive and do some benchmarking. And I need to write test cases!

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s